Friday, November 18, 2011

SDL and EQ in Stratetic Communication

After reading Andria's review of Chapter 7 on self-directed learning, I thought I should jump ahead also since I am currently designing an online version of Strategic Communication for graduate adult learners.

The chapter outlines the cycle of self-directed learning and suggests educational strategies for each phase. Strategic Communication is about interpersonal skills. Emotional intelligence (EQ) is a corner stone of interpersonal skills development (how to manage self and how one handles relationships with others). Effective (strategic) communication then becomes a channel in establishing and managing relationships.

As it turns out, the processes for developing EQ (for example self-awareness and self-management) are similar to metacognitive activities described in the book.I also found a couple of studies suggesting that student blogs can help develop metacognition. In the design of the course I have one early writing assignment using a blog. I think I will expand this into a weekly assignment where students reflect on their performance using the metacognitive cycle. This would allow me to interact with each student where I can monitor and suggest strategies to the student recommended by the book.

The course will be delivered in the next term so I have time to make adjustments in the design. Should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment